Monday, November 3, 2014

Language Lessons



David and I started language lessons with a Haitian man named Falens, who speaks very good English and is a great teacher.  We each have an hour lesson in the mornings M-F.  It has been nice that we know a little already, and aren't starting out knowing nothing, but we have a long ways to go!!!  The first week or two was kind of frustrating, for two reasons.  1 - I can't understand the difference in how they pronounce e, e (with accent), and en.  Or a, a accent, and an.  All sounds the same to me :(  And 2 - I have not known nor cared what a predicate or pronoun was since 8th grade English!!  David says he never did know what they were :)  So, after I got over my bad attitude of having to be back in school again, things seem to be going better.  It's really fun to see progress and have more words to use when talking to the people who come to my door, or who we see when we are out walking.  Makes it feel more like the lessons are working...and that's our main goal...to speak Creole!

1 comment:

  1. You'll do just fine -- keep going! Wish I could take the classes with you :)
    Thanks for your messages and the pictures!
    Blessings,
    Nancy D.

    ReplyDelete